I'm Still Here: The Lost Year Of Joaquin Phoenix

green grenades

<object width="520" height="352"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/26020"></param><param'>http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/26020"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/26020" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="520" height="352"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...

So has anyone seen it, or even saw him on Letterman the other night?

I saw him on Letterman and was supprised and thrilled to see him back, atleast back as in looking like himself. He is/was a phenominal actor, and has (had?) alot to offer. It was funny, Letterman gave him a bunch of **** about the last time he was on the show, and also was saying he was going to sue him for some of the proceeds from the documentary/movie.

I watched the movie this morning (it said that it would be on OnDemand on Comcast during the Letterman show.) It was really wierd. It supposed to all be a hoax or w/e, but theres none of that talked about in it. It really looks like the dude had lost it. You will see him doing drugs, I am assuming cocaine or something else that he snorts. At the point in the movie after the 1st Letterman airing, you see Joaquin really freeking out, saying "what have I done, blah blah blah."

I am really confused now, was it really a hoax or did it really happen, and now hes SAYING it was all a hoax??? I really don't know now.... Thoughts?

David Letterman knew Joaquin Phoenix was faking it when the actor behaved bizarrely during a TV interview one of the writers of his talk show says. In an interview given last year, writer Bill Scheft, explained, "Dave knew about it and Dave loved it because he could play along. "I've told people that everyone was in on the joke, and not only don't people believe me, they tell me that I'm wrong and that Phoenix is a schizophrenic and he needs help and he's going to end up like his brother River. "I said no. I saw the segment notes. It's an act. I saw Ben Affleck's brother taping the whole thing from offstage," Scheft told the independent newspaper, Nuvo. Pheonix's supposed downward spiral was filmed by his brother-in-law Casey Affleck for a documentary called I'm Still Here. This week Affleck admitted that the film was an elaborate hoax, telling the New York Times, "It's a terrific performance, the performance of his career."...

Have you (anyone) seen it? I mean it was pretty crazy, it looked real. What about the drug use? Even on the latest Letterman, he seems really wierd and awkward. I just don't know what to think. I would think that if it was all a hoax they would have commented on that fact in the documentary. But it wasn't mentioned once, except for Joaquin being upset that nobody believeing that he wanted to rap or w/e, showing him seeing all the publicity about the whole thing. It just doesn't all add up to me for some reason....

I don't think it was necessarily a "hoax" as it was a performance. It was a brilliant concept and execution by Phoneix and Alfec. An actor acting his degeneration and conveying it enough that on a mass level people believe it as a truth is just sheer brilliance. However, I do think at a certain point, he did get engrossed into the fictionalization of his acting and that's where the blurly line starts, you fake it until you make it. I've yet to see it but I saw both letterman interviews and read some articles and all I could think about was his dedication and talent.

It would have been brilliant, if Andy Kaufman didn't do it years earlier.

Even Jim Carey did it to an extent. Going to a movie awards ceremony, dressed like a vagrant/hippie and acting like someone else. mtv9901.jpg "After this year's so-called Oscar race, I realized that dancin' for the man just ain't where it's at, and I decided right in and there that no matter what they tried to take away from me, I was gonna be who I really am."

Archived