What A Difference A Video Card Makes

StealthyShadows

What did you upgrade from and what did you upgrade to?

I have a GeForce 9500, which is a piece of crap. I want to get a new vid card but I don't want to spend a ton of loot. Maybe around $150ish tops. But yeah, the 9500 is NOT a gaming card. It's more of a media card (TV in/out, etc). I have a beast of a PC (Quad Core, 8G Ram, etc), but my video card is bogging me down. I can run Starcraft 2 on mostly medium settings, but I'd like to see it running Ultra..

I have a GeForce 9500, which is a piece of crap. I want to get a new vid card but I don't want to spend a ton of loot. Maybe around $150ish tops. But yeah, the 9500 is NOT a gaming card. It's more of a media card (TV in/out, etc). I have a beast of a PC (Quad Core, 8G Ram, etc), but my video card is bogging me down. I can run Starcraft 2 on mostly medium settings, but I'd like to see it running Ultra..

i went from the onboard graphics from the motherboard to this. it came to like 80 bucks overall and i only paid about 30 because i used my birthday money on it.

looks like if you buy it online you can get it for about 60 though http://www.nvidia.com/object/buy_now_results_ci.html?id=GFGT220

Here's a pretty solid guide based on price:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-radeon-hd-geforce-gtx,2676.html

Remember to pay attention to the power requirements. If you bought a factory built machine the PSU doesn't always have the headroom you need for a large upgrade. The list usually has recommendations for lower power draws. There are also links to reviews there for most of the cards. Though, if your PSU can handle it I recommend spending near the top of the budget and going with the 5750 or preferrably the 5770 as it will net you DX11 support and should keep you gaming with pretty good graphics for awhile to come.

Archived