Pokemon Go

Dateranoth

How are we not talking about this? I haven't played it, and I have absolutely no intention to do so.  However, the world is talking about it, and it certainly proves Augmented Reality as a viable game platform.  Has anyone played it or know anyone who is playing it? Is it an addiction deal or actually a fun game?

I dabble.  For the most part I only pull it out when I've stopped somewhere in a parking lot or something. (uh, don't take that out of context XD.)  I feel too weird too actually actively hunt (I'm wondering if I have some kind of agoraphobia, it just sounds really weird to me to have to walk around town lol), but I really like the idea behind it.  So many people are bitching and complaining about how it's all they hear about and that kids and millennials "have time to chase Pokemon but not their dreams," (or job hunt) but it's actually getting them outside, walking and being active, getting healthier, socializing, exploring, it's a brilliant idea.  It's not like it's worse than the handheld Pokemon games that you can just play alone in your room.  And all of the news reports of people falling of cliffs, finding dead bodies, or otherwise getting hurt while playing it, that's just what's going to happen when such a large amount of people use, well, anything, and end up getting out more.  Stuff happens.  It's not the game's fault, it's user error, in the same way that phones themselves aren't to blame for kids these days keeping their eyes glued to them everywhere.  That's a separate rant though.

It doesn't matter to me if someone enjoys Pokemon Go. More power to them and I hope they have a blast. However, I am about to pay someone to make a Twitter filter to screen out all Pokemon Go stuff. It's literally all I see in my feed now, and I follow over a thousand people. The tragedy in Nice, France barely even registered in my feed. It's all Pokemon all the time.

Have fun and yadda yadda, but for the love of Deity ... stop sharing so damn much Pokestuff in social media. lol

It's certainly doing the job of getting people outside. I figure it has it's perks. I never really did get into Pokemon though. I was kid when it first hit, but it never interested me. I'm not really sure why. 

I have thought about installing this one to see what it's all about, but I'll probably pass. 

As far as Twitter, I can agree. Also needs to remove itself from the news.

I'll chime in from another standpoint.  I work in the insurance world as you know, and for the love of all that's holy this is causing problems already.  JESUS CHRIST PUT DOWN YOUR PHONE WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING!

Pokémon GO is a concern for trespassing locally

NYS DMV has been issuing warnings about the dangers of Pokémon GO and to NOT use it while driving!

Dude in Syracuse NY already crashed into a fucking tree because he was playing the damn game while driving

And these are just three local news stories for me recently.  Personally, I've almost freaking hit at LEAST two people who just run out into the roads without looking.  Granted I drive safely and observe my surroundings so I CAN stop in time, but I know there are a lot of idiots out there who could just plow into someone. 

That being said, it's an alright "game".  Not a whole lot of substance to it, it's missing a ton of features shown and promised in early trailers, the Pokémon don't look anything like what's depicted in the trailers, etc. 

*edit*

Other recent news

Players find yet another dead body.

Players find man overdosing, call 911

Military feels Pokémon GO is security risk, issues warning to troops

But that's the thing, it's easier to focus on the negative news stories because they are more shocking.  There are a lot of good stories coming out about it as well.

I just read this article and it had everything I had to say about it and more.  Things like people getting out and being motivated to exercise, overcoming depression, making friends, lots of good stuff.

http://nerdist.com/pokemon-go-isnt-destroying-society-its-making-it-better/

Again, it comes down to people.  Yes, some people are going to be idiots and use their phones and not pay attention or use it while driving.  But it's not everyone.  The incidents where an accident occurs are just the loudest ones you hear and see, even if they're statistically low when you consider so damn many people are using it (it's more popular than the twitter app at the moment).

I can agree that it's great so many are getting outside when they normally might not. However, many of these 'happenings' are just people standing around, staring at their phones. They're not really socializing, which would have been the icing on the cake. Maybe in time it'll happen, and yes, I'm sure it's not all groupings. I have seen plenty of quiet ones on my Twitter feed, though, and thought ... what a shame they aren't talking to each other.

• 1 month later...

I play this almost every single day with my boy. We go on walks around our neighborhood and play. He has the wife's phone, I have my phone...We get exercise, we talk about almost everything, and we catch Pokes. Honestly, I couldn't really care less about the game. However I do absolutely love spending time with my boy and this is a way to keep us connected in to something that he likes, but also opens the door for him to talk to me about anything. It's pretty damn great!

Archived