Batman Arkham VR

ThermoNukePanda

Exclusively for Playstation? lol

VR is here and I don't see why anyone who is interested in VR, would pay into it on console. PC is more modular. As in, you can upgrade certain parts if you're lacking. No need to buy a whole new SKU. Not meaning to poo-poo on console and be that master race guy ... but why would anyone gimp their VR experience? It's always going to be better on PC than console, since you have to wait and get their next new console. Mods  are another thing that worries me about VR on console. Mods can breathe new life into a title that has gone stale, and consoles historically fail when it comes to player made mods.

I wish MS and Sony would go way of Sega and just make software. The exclusives crap is going too far, and not everyone can afford VR for three platforms.

Well, I agree and disagree with you PK.  The nice thing about console VR is going to be the accessibility of it for the masses. 

Sure, the "high-end" experience is always going to be better on PC.   Aliasing, lighting, frame rates, etc.  Right now however to do VR on your PC you need a hell of a rig for the minimum requirements.  Like at LEAST $800+ if building from scratch and that's bare minimum.  Then top on that the $600 for the Rift or $800 for the Vive.  That's a serious investment.

The Playstation however isn't going to fragment into different SKU's as far as I can tell right now.  Buying the headset system for the PS comes with a complete separate processing box that is needed to push the extra power.  You can see this in another thread I posted.  So for the VR experience on PS you can get away with it for about $700-800 total (including console). 

Microsoft on the other hand is planning on releasing their new "Scorpio" system, which will be needed absolutely for their VR plans, and it's rumored they might be trying to pair with Oculus. 

As for Mods?  Well, that is new territory consoles are JUST entering.  A good example is Fallout 4.  Right now you can download tons of player mods on Xbox, and I believe PS will be shortly released.  Also the newly announced Skyrim remaster will have Mod support. 

So different strokes for different folks.  I admit whole heartedly that PC will have the fancier graphics, and I own a PC already.  I want plug and play though and no fuss.  No monkeying with settings and all that jazz. 

Agree to disagree on this one?

Most PC gamers already have what they need in terms of minimum requirements. Intel 5+, 4GB RAM, R9-GTX 970 etc. Like consoles, they'd just need the VR gear. If one doesn't already have a PC, then I could see them getting a console for their VR experience.

The deciding factor is price of games, freedom, and quality in my eyes, and PC has those.

Currently in my Steam library, I own 231 games. Some may be DLC, some may have been gifts. However, let's just say I owned 100 games, and I bought them for Xbox or PS. That's $5,999. I could own a top tier PC with that, including several monitors, best keyboard and mouse etc. Even if that broke my bank account, I could still pickup games on the cheap. Whether it's the bi-annual sales on Steam, or the many online distro places like G2A, GreenManGaming, GOG, Kinguin etc and fill out my gaming library. The myth that console gaming is cheaper than PC is just that when you include the games these platforms need.

People are free to choose which they prefer, but I believe people who are well informed and want the best VR experience ... will choose PC. It's easily scalable to a new, evolving genre and I believe more software and games will be made for it. VR isn't just for games. PC won't have a neutered experience like the console will. By that, I mean things like adult entertainment, business and management software and so on. Consoles are going to put out VR games, and in the process, snatch up stupid exclusive deals. It's one of the main reasons I switched to PC. I want freedom in what my platform can do. I don't want a CEO deciding which games and software I can play on my expensive piece of equipment.

As far as console mods go, again ... neutered. Consoles will never offer the same mods that PC has access to. They will have approved for all audiences type mods. And if anyone wants that, by all means have fun with it. I wouldn't, and that's why I switched.

If I seem argumentative or anything like that towards you, know that that's not my intention. Everything I am saying is out of love for gaming and the vultures that are trying to neuter it wholesale. That, and Sony just fucked me out of a VR Joker voiced by Hamil. lol

I'm going to have to have to agree with PK about the pricing of PC gaming.  Definitely cheaper overall.  Even if you factor in buying older games, those 100 games would be about $2000 since that's generally the lowest a game's SKU will go down to unless it's very old or used.  Yet with PC you can get a very recently released game, like a month or two later, for $20-$40 if you know how to sale right, and far cheaper in the actual sales.  I've kind of become a "few months behind gamer," where all the games I get are just old enough that they've been fully patched, have their DLC, and have massive discounts.  Yes, if everyone did that it would be bad for the industry, but there are a few titles that I will buy new if I'm excited enough, like The Witcher 3, as I knew that title would be well worth it.

Or, they could just release games cheaper.  Steam has proven statistically through their sales that games sell exponentially more at lower sale prices and get higher profits at reduced prices.  Almost no game is worth $60 to me anymore.  This is all just my opinion and how I deal with buying games.  I have over 1,000 titles on Steam that I would NEVER afford on consoles.

I mean, holy s***, I just looked on https://steamdb.info/calculator/ and I have an apparent value of $13562 in my library with an adjusted "through sales" value of $3441.  I started my account in like 2007 and actively started using it around 2010.  I don't think I've spent more than like $4-5k on it, if that.

5 minutes ago, Kevnvek said:

I've kind of become a "few months behind gamer," where all the games I get are just old enough that they've been fully patched, have their DLC, and have massive discounts. 

Yeah, I don't even mind being a bit behind everyone else for the exact reasons you stated. Fully agree on pricing, too.

I don't take it personally at all.  I've been a console gamer for a long time.  I just choose to spread my investment money across multiple consoles and publishers.  

And you nailed it, "exclusives".  

Right now I don't have a good enough cpu. I'm still running an overcooked amd 1100 black edition thuban.  And I only have a gtx 760.  I can run a lot on high settings for my pc and that's made me happy.  

So I have two choices.  Abandon my spending on other consoles, like MS, Nintendo and Sony, or devote everything into PC to upgrade and and keep advancing there alone.  

With that, I'd rather try VR on consoles and I guess gimp myself in the process.  All in the name of sampling from all the pots.  But as you said, that's the problem with exclusivity.

Don't think less of me

*edit* I guess for a long time I was spoiled though and got a gratuitous amount of console games for free from publishers for reviews, so cost wasn't a factor.  This was back when I was still married to Coy though which seems like a dream now it was so long ago

Tapping out because I do think you're taking it personally.

I just think if more people knew about the myths concerning console vs PC, people would make better decisions, and stop bankrolling the practices I hate seeing on console. It goes beyond just exclusives, too. I've been upset with them long before today, and for far better reasons than Hamil's Joker. In fact, I had typed out most of what I said here into your other VR topic, which I saw and read before this one. I just decided not to hit submit. I do that often on forums.

No seriously,.didn't take it personally!!  I know we're cool :-)

I was pointing out how stupid it is for exclusives though!  I was only trying to say before I go balls out and totally overhaul my PC for VR I think I'm going to try the PSVR since I have the baseline stuff mostly! 

If I had a choice though?  PC all the way.  You're right about that.  Way more potential!

PK, if you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about the possible VR fragmentation in general?  I think it's bullshit personally, like I've been seeing things announced to be Rift or Vive EXCLUSIVE!!!! which blows my mind cause it's all PC anyways.

It's like the stupid crap between Nvidia and AMD cards and how some games only give you graphical options if you have an Nvidia card.  Totally lame.

There are several that are pushing for open source VR. I think if I were to invest into VR, I'd head in that direction to start. Let the leaves fall where they will and then either decide if I want to stay there, or help push proprietary platforms. Some are going to have advantages for their own platforms, like AMD. Let them peacock their special things like proprietary shaders. Doesn't much matter to me at all.

I'm not even looking to get any sort of VR just yet. I'll wait like I always do and hope I get the best experience I can, without spending that release money. I may wait a long time. It doesn't really excite me at all to be honest. Now, if there were a Holodeck option I could build into my house ... that would be what I would I want. I remember being all excited for Kinect and if I could go back in time, knowing what I do now about it ... I wouldn't have bought it.

Another thing that's starting to bother me is that Microsoft is actually releasing some of their big exclusive titles on PC, but only exclusively on Windows 10.  Plus they're saying that DirectX 12 will not support Windows 7.  Such BS.  I really want nothing to do with 10, but I'd like to be able to play Gears of War 4 on PC, and I'm interested in Killer Instinct (I liked the old SNES game, and the new one has some music by Celldweller in it.)  It's not even like it's a different console, it's on my same damn PC with the same damn hardware.  I think we should just start a new thread about how BS the gaming industry has become lately haha.

On 6/16/2016 at 1:48 AM, Kevnvek said:

Another thing that's starting to bother me is that Microsoft is actually releasing some of their big exclusive titles on PC, but only exclusively on Windows 10.  Plus they're saying that DirectX 12 will not support Windows 7.  Such BS.  I really want nothing to do with 10, but I'd like to be able to play Gears of War 4 on PC, and I'm interested in Killer Instinct (I liked the old SNES game, and the new one has some music by Celldweller in it.)  It's not even like it's a different console, it's on my same damn PC with the same damn hardware.  I think we should just start a new thread about how BS the gaming industry has become lately haha.

What's your aversion to 10?  I've been running it for a while without any problems, and it was free. It's an inevitability in the world of PC gaming.

As for VR on PS4, I can understand the appeal.  No matter what it will be a much easier experience for the non PC enthusiasts.  Buy it, plug it in, play the game.  PC, though 100% better (as you all know, I have and always will be a PC gamer), requires a lot more user intervention.  Buy the right hardware, if you're not doing it yourself then you pay more. Make sure you have the right drivers.  Once you have VR working, if you're not running the best hardware then you have to tweak settings to allow you to have an enjoyable experience. etc.

The appeal of consoles is what it has always been. Buy it, play it.  (Of course, annoying updates, and game installs have made that a little less true) . Otherwise, if you don't mind doing a bit of extra work. Buy VR for PC, but either way I'd wait.  This feels too similar to the days of other early hardware.  I think if you're an enthusiast go for it, but the better game will be in a few years once it's proven out.

11 hours ago, Dateranoth said:

What's your aversion to 10?  I've been running it for a while without any problems, and it was free. It's an inevitability in the world of PC gaming.

Design, Ease-of-Use and Accessibility, and Familiarity.

I don't like that it's designed with the tile nonsense like a phone OS.  Sure you can disable that view to an extent, but it'll still be there to an extent, in the start menus and whatnot.

I dislike the start menu as you basically see ads, or at least links to irrelevant programs, and yes you can get a program to make it more like Window's 7's, and I did use it successfully, but I had a huge gripe with the search system.  I have an archived music folder on an external hard drive.  If I think up a song to play, I can tap the windows key, type the first few letters, and find it in a snap.  With Windows 10, even with the 7 style start menu installed, you have to scroll past a series of other results and even internet results (which can be disabled I think) to find the song.  So it's more like tap key, glance, search, scroll or click.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's clunky.  I also didn't like how so many control panel settings were oversimplified.  Feels like I can't control the system as well.

The bottom line is that it seems less easy to use than 7.  It's clunkier, full of superfluous things like tiles and internet content that I don't want (like Cortana defaulting to using a Bing search.  I can do that myself.), and just doesn't seem as user friendly to a relatively tech comfortable person.  For someone like me, the things they do to make the technology easier to use for people who are "casual users" make it less convenient.  I hate that smartphone design of everything being crammed together into a few rounded edged buttons with big fonts. lol

I only used it for a few weeks then was happy to find that I could revert, though, I still have the option to go to it again until close to the end of next month, which I grudgingly might very well do just for DX12, especially if I get a new graphics card.

Sorry for the rant.  It's not completely a "I'm not yet familiar with the new thing yet so I dislike it" situation, some of the changes they made seem actively bad and inconvenient to me.  I actually have 10 on my laptop, maybe I'll mess with it some more and see if they've changed anything by now.

I understand the dislike of the tiles and all that bs.  That's exactly why I skipped Windows 8.  However, almost all of the Windows 10 features can be modified to work like 7.  You do have to spend a few bucks to pay for a decent windows 7 start menu clone ($5 to be exact), but I've actually grown to like the current layout of Windows 10 start menu.  Cortana, though neat, was immediately disabled for me.  I don't like that she gave the internet searches, bing links, etc. Once she is disabled, search works just like it use to.  The control panel is still there. There is a more user friendly one on top, but all the rest is still on the back end. 

As for the ads, that would be one thing that would piss me off, but I don't get them.  It may be because I'm running Windows 10 Pro, but I'm not sure. As for the irrelevant programs, they were deleted on first use as well. I thought it was pretty lame for them to push the upgrade so hard with annoying pop ups.

Don't get me wrong, there are still things that I don't particularly like, like the updates being automatically pushed, but at least they did fix the 'reboot whenever it feels like it' problem with the latest patches.

If I had to buy it, I might have waited, unless they had a good upgrade offer, but for free I couldn't pass it up.  It's quicker, boots faster, runs smoother, and is over all a better performer than Windows 7.  The interface, admittedly, was hard to get use to, but for free + $5 mod, I wouldn't have been out much even if I didn't want to get use to it.

On the other hand, I don't believe Windows 10 will be the platform that sees all the new DX12 titles. Sure, they will be releasing with that option, but other than the Microsoft exclusives, I doubt we will see games you can't play on Windows 7 for a long time ( at least 2020 when EOL hits ) .  So, if you like where you are at, then by all means stick with it. 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:07 PM, Dateranoth said:

How about the fact that, out of the box, you can't even watch a fucking DVD on your PC anymore lol.  They basically took away the media player.  Sure you can do some digging and download a separate program, but fresh install?  Nope.  That alone is stupid as hell haha.

So, this topic is now about neither Batman nor VR, but rather is a Windows 10 rant haha.

I actually went ahead and installed it, with the knowledge that you can in fact save your windows.old folder and revert pretty much any time, not just within the 30 day window after install (if you don't backup windows.old, it gets deleted after 30 days.)  It seems some of the things I didn't like have been improved (since it's been about a year since I tried it,) and I've found an option in another free Start Menu replacement program called Classic Shell that removes the extra results that made it harder to quickly find my music.

This is what I saw before.

4f0c51e9bfde884872f362cacaec1a4f.png

Changing the settings, it now won't search for Settings or sort files between Documents and Files, just put them in one list and bring up whatever's most relevant first.  So, it's /almost/ just like the 7 start menu search now.

Also, doing that same exact search, neither the 10 menu nor Start10 will even find that song for some reason, and I already have the folder archived.

The biggest thing that drew me in was Microsoft's push to bring more games to PC, but them being 10 Exclusive.  Halo Wars 2, Gears 4, etc., and Quantum Break looks pretty cool.  I don't intend to get an Xbox One, so it'll be cool to play some of the bigger MS titles that get cross platform release.

So far I tried out the Forza 6 beta, which is nice but short on content as a beta (but is totally free,) and actually bought Killer Instict.  I tried it and it's a lot of fun, and of course has some music by Klayton/Celldweller (hell yes.)  If I ever go back to 7 I won't be able to play it on my PC, but that's not too huge of a deal since my laptop has 10 and a decent GPU.

So, this topic is now about neither Batman nor VR, but rather is a Windows 10 rant haha.

In true Gamercide fashion. :)

Yeah, I forgot to mention that replacement. Best free one for sure. I'm not sure why I don't get the search results like you. It may be the Taskbar app I'm running to span it across displays.

I think you will end up sticking with it. It's pretty solid now once you get use to it.

Archived