The Narrator

Avahra

Not everyone can be a hero.

This phrase, and ones similar to it, have been spoken throughout generations. Teachers, parents, leaders, they have all said it, and everyone has heard it. Not once or twice but a hundred thousand times.

If everyone had a super power then what would the world even be? Just a bunch of beefed up super dudes bro fisting each other so hard that they collapse a nearby building. I get it, not everybody is special, but that doesn’t stop us from dreaming.

Nobody knows how the heroes came to be, there are the rumors and tinfoil hat theories. Most people? They just don’t care. They go about their normal lives, with some minor hero inconveniences. Don’t even get me started on how many days I’ve been late because a hero thought the train was due to explode. But overall, I think the world has been a safer place because of it.

Some kids are obviously going to be heroes. Joey is the fastest kid on the track team and I guarantee once he hits 20, he’ll get that letter and that switch will be turned on. He’ll go from Joey the fast kid to TURBO JOE. Me? I’m destined to be nobody. I guess I’m okay with that. I’m pretty shy anyways, I’d rather watch people or read about the things they’ve done. Sometimes I like to imagine I get that letter. "You are a hero." I’ll be 20 in a week and the closer I get, the more unrealistic my expectations are becoming.

One night over a dinner of pizza pockets, my best friend Kenny slams the question on me. “So what are you going to do if you’re not a hero?” Easy for him to say. He comes from a family of heroes, he’s almost guaranteed a free hero pass. I shrug my shoulders and pop another pizza pocket in my mouth. “Continue my journalism degree, I suppose. That was the plan all along right?” Kenny shrugs his shoulders. “I guess, it just seems so lame.” I agree. Journalism is kind of lame compared to super hero powers.

On the morning of my 20th birthday, I woke up in a cold sweat. This was it. I was 20 years old and today I would either be a man or a hero. Nobody who is a hero can tell you how they found out. It's super secret, so I’m not really sure what to expect. I hang around in my apartment, attempting to do things to occupy myself but I give up when the doorbell rings. My heart stops. It isn’t Kenny, he has a key. I run to the door but stop short of ripping it open. Stay calm. Breathe.

I open the door. Nobody's there. I look down the hall for the neighborhood kids. That's when I see it: a small slip of white paper with my name on it. I rip the paper from my door handle and slam the door. Sinking to my knees, I hold the paper in front of my eyes. My hands are sweating, my heart is racing. I take one deep breath and open up the paper.

HEROES BUREAU

111 SECRET HIDE OUT AVE

Future Hero,

We here at the Heroes Bureau wish to welcome you to the status of elite. You have been chosen among your peers as a candidate for Super Hero status. Below you will find your power and additional information about the --

I skip the rest. I go to the bottom of the page.

I, Morgan Freeman, am The Narrator.

I smile. "I am a hero" I whisper, and above me my voice booms among the clouds.

Archived