Sony's Project Morpheus set to release next year

ThermoNukePanda

X6WwrbK.png

Yesterday during Sony's GDC press conference Sony unwrapped some more details about their upcoming VR headset, currently codenamed Project Morpheus.  At this time they're planning to release Morpheus within the "first half of 2016". 

Details emerged regarding the now upgraded unit which include a vibrant OLED display with 1920x1080 resolution, along with the all important refresh rate which is definitely needed for immersion in regards to screens that close to your eyeballs.  The new model supposedly allows for both framerate options of 60 and 120 frames per second.

Also discussed was a 5.7" screen size as well as full 360 degree headtracking (which is assume is going to be handled by the newer updated Playstation Camera peripheral, sold seperately at this time).  Latency for the model is claimed to be vastly improved also.  Even more important, the new model of headset allows the user to wear their corrective glasses if desired, featuring a new headband design that is able have the face unit slide completely away from your head in case you need a break or something. 

Also shown at GDC during the conference were a few more demos currently available for the device. 

FKV0M6W.png

The Deep, a demo previously shown with the device but now featuring more to do and more to see I suppose?

7c3o5Ub.png

Bedroom Robots.  Uh...  yeah.  It's about robots, in your bedroom. 

MsgsSTF.png

London Heist looks like a first person shooter

Wh3SgA4.png

Magic Controller apparently lets you look at your controller in a VR environment.  Not sure why this is needed but hey, it's another demo.

Sony stressed that this build of the device is NOT the final version and is subject to change.  We have a lot of time before the "first half of 2016", and considering they doubled down on the specs and features since they've originally announced the device last year I expect things to only improve from here.  More details and hand-on demo stations are expected to be around for this year's E3, so stay tuned for more info!

Are you as excited as I am about this?  I can't wait to use it on my PS4!

I've watched several streamers on Twitch use VR and you the viewer typically get about 15 minutes before the streamer needs to take the VR facegear off. I think we're still quite a few years out from VR being used all the time in gaming. I think it'll be a few big titles, but more Indie titles than AAA.

• 3 weeks later...

I have pretty mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I think it would be absolutely amazing to immerse myself in a game such as Skyrim with a VR Headset.  On the other hand, I can't help but wonder about the control scheme. Even if you're all immersed, when you're still using a keyboard or controller, I'm not sure how it will play out.  The technology is coming, but it will be all about the game developers and how well they implement it.

Archived