Rare Corpse Flower in Bloom at Houstom Museum of Natural Science

"The Corpse Flower gets its name from the pungent stench it emits in bloom - this, combined with the flower's huge size and deep purple color, convinced the first explorers who encountered it in Sumatra to believe it was a man-eating plant! Since then, this extremely rare plant has gained celebrity status by having one of the largest, rarest, and smelliest flowers in the world. These flowers can reach heights of 7-10 ft and a diameter of 5-6 ft.

For the next week or so, you can see this incredibly rare and odorous flower for yourself in the Cockrell Butterfly Center! We anticipate that the flower will be in full bloom over the weekend of July 9 - 11. In the meantime, you can follow the plant's extraordinary growth (53 inches and counting!) and get updated predictions for when it will be in full bloom on the HMNS blog."

Live webcam feed of Corpse Flower: Link

Updates on growth: Link

Photos of day by day growth: Link

The Corpse Flower is so rare, only 28 have been known to bloom in the United States, with this being the second in Texas. It's called a Corpse flower because in full bloom, it gives off a smell that some describe as a mix of cooking cabbage and rotting flesh. It gives off this stench for 7-12 hours. It only stays in full bloom for around two days.

I went and saw this earlier today, and man, that thing is HUGE. It hasn't opened yet, but it still is extremely cool. My ticket is good until midnight, so if anything major happens, I will go back to see. I'm gonna go back when it blooms as well, despite the crowds. This is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity!

Archived