So TWC did something cool.

Can't agree more. I really doubt the free upgrade will keep Google out. Might delay it, but the competition is coming. They're obviously worried as hell to give anything out free.  

Og course, this comes after their ~$6 increase for network sports and news due to the suppose gouging of the networks. 

I check into the forums and that video is one of the first things I see haha.  I see you're keeping things lively here, Ava.

And I've had my speeds randomly bumped up once, unannounced.  Was supposed to be like 30 down then started getting like 50-60.  That was before we downgraded to like 20, even though it's still reading as 30 at speedtest.  Don't remember all the exact numbers, but originally it went quite a bit over the estimate.  Comcast is still super expensive though.

We may be headed towards a break in our cable bills. Not by much, but it's a start. The FCC has a proposal that'd allow third party manufacturers to make those ridiculous set top boxes we need to use to access the content we paid for. You'd buy them outright, too. None of that $5-10 lease per month, per box thing that the big cable companies hit us with. Not that long ago, you could stick your cable right into your TV and it'd work just fine. I never needed the box since I never did the pay per view thing. Even if I did, I could pull out the stupid box and do it special for the one event or so.

I switched away from the box to a cable card a couple of years ago. Have to lease the cable card, but it's only $2.50 a month. I can DVR with windows media center and stream those to any Xbox in the house.

The issues is, they are still criminal in nature. I can't tell you the trouble I've had getting it to work to the point it's working now. 

Basically, a signal from your cable line that works fine with one of their boxes will not work with the cable card. Not to mention they have zero support for it. Most don't even know what you're talking about.

I ended up having to put the card and device on the very beginning of the cable line to my house. It is working with one split off of the main line at my new house, but would never work correctly at the old house. 

Long story short, I hope they get this passed, but I'm worried they'll make it so hard to use most people won't. 

• 3 months later...

So, interesting tidbit. I got the free upgrade, oh, when I started this thread.  It was such an upgrade I didn't really think about what it should be. Well, long story short, my tier was upgraded to the 200/20 tier.  However, my old cable modem couldn't handle it. I could have, and SHOULD have just down graded to the 100/10 that my modem could handle.  Instead, I bought a new modem. I'm in love with the results.

5577999009.png

That's gonna be great! I've actually had very few problems since TWC took over. Biggest gripe with cable is the lack of choice. Them or DSL (5/1 if you're lucky) around here. 

They pull some crap from time to time with rate hikes and bs rental fees. I've dealt with that the normal way. Bought all my own equipment and call with talk of switching to satellite once a year. They are FAR more transparent with their bills than the local company they bought. 

Archived